Dark Sun: Fading Embers
Fading Embers – Character Creation Guidelines
- Character should be made at 3rd level using any official 4th Edition rules and mechanics that are currently available in the Character Builder program. This includes any official 4e races, classes, and so forth available in and/or appropriate for the Dark Sun setting.
- One exception to the above: No hybrid classes without a really good reason. I feel they’re usually just taken for min-max reasons and don’t really serve much purpose beyond that.
- Players should use the standard ability array for their ability scores. The standard array is 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10. Player may customize this set using the point-build options presented in the PHB and available in the CB.
- Players may make use of any of the backgrounds presented in the CB that are appropriate to the Dark Sun setting. All backgrounds either give a character training in one of their associated skills or a +2 bonus to one of those skills, disregard any other mechanics provided by a background that does not adhere to this standard.
- Characters should be made using the latest version of the Character Builder program. If someone does not have access to the Character Builder, they can send a character in via other means so it can be added to the CB by the DM.
- As Dark Sun characters every character may begin play with a character theme as explained in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting. Additionally, all players may choose a single Wild Talent of their choice for their character or may randomly determine one if they would like.
- Characters should be built using the Inherent Bonuses system presented in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting. At 3rd level, this gives characters a +1 to attacks and damage and allows them to inflict an additional 1d6 damage on a critical hit.
- In lieu of the regular equipment provided for starting above 1st level, characters should start with 2040 gp from which they can purchase 1 single non-consumable magic item of up to 6th level. Players may use any remaining gp to purchase boons and other alternative rewards presented in the Dark Sun Campaign book. This gold can additionally be used to purchase consumable magic items (such as potions), new rituals, ritual components and anything else with a gp value that isn’t a permanent magic item.
- In addition, characters start with 520 gp which can be spent on weapons, armor, survival days (up to 30 days worth) and other non-magic equipment.
- Players should also have a short write up for what their character looks like and one for their character’s backstory/history. Try to keep this under a page or two, please.